The National Association of Home Builders’ 2023 International Builders’ Show (IBS), part of Design & Construction Week in Las Vegas, attracted its highest attendance in 10 years. I was among the 200,000 participants and hundreds of first-time attendees. IBS and four other concurrent residential shows offered nearly 2,000 exhibitor booths plus showrooms, show homes and 100+ educational sessions.
Whether on the show floor or in an educational session, the residential building trends and opportunities for windows and doors were clear:
- More daylight and fresh air
- Expansive views and more emphasis on indoor/outdoor living spaces
- Natural tones with cheery colorful accents
- Intentional, functional design choices
Highlights throughout the halls included 10-foot-high pivoting entrances with transoms and side lites, giant sliding doors topped with clerestory awnings, folding doors paired with folding windows for a whole-wall opening, corner windows with narrow sightlines to maximize views, and massive mulled and mixed multi-unit window configurations.
Finished aluminum framing continuously caught my eye. Dark-hued tones dominated exterior-facing frames, including aluminum finished to look like steel for a modern industrial aesthetic. Wood-look finishes added warmth to interior-facing frames.
More colorful options showcased plant-forward palettes of subtle muted-forest gray-greens and oceanic blue-greens complemented by earthen dark bronze, soft whites and light neutrals. Design trends for accent colors in 2023 include deep coral and raspberry natural reds, rose-quartz muted pinks and buttermilk, straw and chamomile yellows.
In additional to thoughtful color choices, educational presenters noted the shift to more intentional, functional design decisions.
- Soften linear, geometric designs with circular, curved, arched and organic shapes in light fixtures, furniture, as well as windows and entrances.
- Replace all-open plan designs with separate multi-functional spaces. This includes accessory dwelling units that can house an elderly parent or a returning college student, or can generate rental income.
- Designate areas for quiet reflection that blend inside and outside spaces for an immersive, personalized, calm atmosphere.
- Add smart home controls for entry and garage doors, windows, HVAC, lighting and appliances to provide convenience plus privacy and security.
- Create no-filter-needed, Zoom-worthy backgrounds, ideally with a window to your outside view.
Tips for 2024
- Preregister to skip the onsite lines.
- Download the app in advance to review the show floor map and get real-time updates.
- Give yourself plenty of time to travel to and from the convention center and between halls more than 1 million square feet of exhibit space.
- Check out the other shows. Registration grants you entry to IBS, KBIS and NHS at the convention center, and free shuttles connect to The International Surfaces Event flooring show and to The Las Vegas Winter Market showcasing furniture, décor and gifts.
- Be willing to veer off schedule. The fun of face-to-face events is to meet with people in person, strike up conversations, make new connections and gain new perspectives.